Maine Cold Storage
Unity Food Hub has three walk-in cold storage rooms and a detached 8'x8' walk-in freezer. Rooms feature two large cooler doors for easy pallet access and storage. Smaller odd product storage has an option of a variety of epoxy coated wire storage shelves on wheels. Material handling equipment onsite includes pallet hand trucks, utility carts and a two-wheel hand truck. Pallet storage is only ground level, no racking or equipment to stack is available. Our freight lift will help you utilize the loading dock. The dock can fit a full size freight truck, but more comfortably maneuvers up to a 30' box.
- All of our food storage units are monitored for temperature and humidity every 4 hours. All units are tied into the building security which notifies the building General Manager of power outages and temperatures outside of range set-points. A backup generator supplies power to the building and storage units, including our detached stand-alone freezer, in the event of a power outage. The freezer is not monitored by the security system and is equipped with an independent monitor system that can be downloaded to see if temperature fell outside of set-point range.
- The food storage rooms undergo an annual full ceiling to floor wash and sanitation at which time all stored food is staged in the pack-room for no more than 3 hours before returning to the storage unit. The freezer unit is cleaned of physical debris. In the case of a spill or other contamination event, standard operating procedure are in place to reduce risk and maintain a food safe environment.
- Quality is checked before food enters the storage units and monitored to reduce the spread of mold from spoilage.
- Pest management is monitored through a Modern Pest Management service contact.
- Our storage facility is not MOFGA organic certified. We work with our storage rental customers to ensure the best care is taken to keep their product food safe.
We have two refrigerated storage rooms and the ability to create two separate environments. We set refrigerated storage to maintain an environment of 38 °F and 35% humidity.
Cold storage unit 1 is approximately 500 sq. ft. (15’ x 35’). Cold storage unit 2 is approximately 330 sq. ft. (15’ x 22’). Support columns create some storage restraints. Single level pallet storage only at this time. Shelving units on casters is also available to maximize space. A small supply of plastic shipping containers (4’x4’x4’) are available and can be stacked and are hand-load only.
See map of building for storage layout.
The freezer is an 8’ x 8’ (outside dimension) stand-alone freezer with a top mounted cooling unit. We set freezer storage to maintain an environment of -10 °F. There are clear vinyl curtains in the doorway to reduce temperature and humidity fluctuations.
This freezer in not equipped to receive pallets. Epoxy coated modular shelving is organized to maximize storage space and accessibility. All shelving is raised 4 inches off floor. Current configuration of shelving is as follows.
- Small Freezer shelf measures WxDxH 36”X 24” X ~18”. Inside post width 33”
- Medium Freezer shelf measures WxDxH 48”X 24” X ~18”. Inside post width 45”
- Large Freezer shelf measures full combined size of small and medium shelf.
Each wall contains 4 shelves high. Side-walls run the full length of a large shelf. The back wall contains an additional small shelf. Total shelving storage is approximately 200 cu. ft. and could be more depending on customer storage terms and accessibility needs.
Our Dry storage room is set to maintain an environment of 50 °F and 0% humidity. A floor unit dehumidifier runs constantly to draw out all humidity and drains through the floor drain.
The storage unit is approximately 415 sq. ft. (19’ x 22’). Two support columns create some storage restraints. Single level pallet storage only at this time. Shelving units on casters is also available to maximize space. A small supply of plastic shipping containers (4’x4’x4’) are available and can be stacked and are hand-load only.
See map of building for storage layout.